BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, 19 January 2012

'Wills'


Recently I have been thinking about wills & the fact that I need to write one.

I’m not ill or dying. I’m not even 30 yet. But this has been plaguing me & now my husband.

I think it started sinking in when I got married. There was really no need to have one before. After all who would I leave my stuff to? Mind you I have nothing of value – only sentimental value…pictures/cards/books etc. – but my husband needs to know what to do with this stuff & what to do with me if I die before him.

However another thought came into my overworking brain. What if we have a child? I would then have to do a new will in order to leave items to him/her. Or should I wait until perhaps a child enters our life & do a will then?

Such probing questions, yet important ones that in fact are hard to answer. I need to look into all this in more detail & find out more information. It’s confusing at the best of times when we are living but it seems worse when we die. Knowing we need to leave instructions to others in what we want when we pass onto another world is tough.

It’s like an afterlife ‘to do list’ in some ways. Perhaps one aspect to it should be ‘don’t forget to the lock the door’ or ‘don’t forget a loaf of bread’. I wonder if anyone has actually ever left those kinds of humorous instructions following their death. It would break down the tension & grief in a room when the will was being read out.

So I shall go on thinking about my will & ponder what route is best to go down when writing my instructions following my death. Thankfully though I won’t need to add on my list ‘don’t forget to put the toilet seat down’. Now that would be amusing!

2 comments:

  1. You're smart to give this thought now, when you're young and healthy. My husband and I didn't write wills until we had children, but it really isn't wise to wait. If nothing else, it's very important that you know the other's wishes regarding end-of-life care.

    Think of famous cases like Terri Schiavo--she had nothing in writing so when she couldn't speak for herself, a battle ensued between her husband and her parents, who had widely different ideas about what should happen to her. Her case was awful, but it did provide a very public wake-up call.

    I'll tell you one thing I know for sure. Writing wills when you're just talking about who you want to get your stuff is one thing, but writing one when you have to decide who will care for your child(ren) is sure to spark some serious and brutally honest discussions about friends and family. We looked at the people we loved from an angle of potentially raising our kids and decided that we simply could not die. Period. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Word Nerd thank you for your insight in to this. It is awkward to have to think about things like this so that the family do not argue over your own wishes. I think you are right about doing a Will now especially as we never know what is round the corner. Plus you are right about deciding what should happen with a child, you always assume yoy will be there for them forever but you never know & so you need to know they are safe.

    Thank you for the advice :o)

    ReplyDelete