BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, 4 February 2012

Timing: First Impressions.



 Time

Timing is everything & It occurred to me the other day about how people meet, what their first interaction was, who said what, what they wore & where they were. We meet people all the time. Throughout life people wander in & out: work colleagues, school friends, people you meet on the bus/train/on holiday/in a queue/in a pub/café/restaurant etc.

I always watch how people interact with each other when they meet, especially in a café or pub. It’s amusing watching customers come in & how staff interact with them. First impressions now seem to count even when you are eating or drinking. You are not going to go back somewhere if the person who serves you is always grumpy are you? It’s not appealing & definitely doesn’t help the atmosphere. 

So it was highly amusing when my husband reminded me recently about the time he first met me & what I did. Now this is embarrassing & when he told me I blushed, laughed & cringed thinking ‘OMG why did I do that…..

We had known each other 7-8 years before, there was always a spark there between us but I thought ‘no way would he be interested in me’, unfortunately we lost touch & I had no idea where he was or if he was with anyone. But with a bit of hunting I found him again…

I remember feeling extremely nervous when I phoned him. I had left a message with my number & he called me back - yes he called me – I was shaking in my voice & yet there he was cool as a cucumber! We arranged to meet as I wanted his professional opinion on some writing of mine & of course I was dying to see him!

Cue the day we met:

We had been constantly texting & when he arrived I was too nervous to even say hi. So what did I say instead when I opened the door? Cringe moment…

‘Do you like my hair? It’s changed a bit since you last saw me.’(along with hand to hair gestures as well!) OMG!! Right there. Bam. He should have turned & walked away & thought ‘yep she’s mad’ but he giggled & said ‘yes it has.’

Now to explain why this is cringing: I used to have longish blonde hair, then I got it all cut off into a pixie style, then I decided to grow it out again (I’m forever changing my hairstyles! Even now I cut it all off again…it’s a mad addiction I think!) so when he saw me I had a short bob type style where it was growing out. I mentioned it to him because….actually I have no idea why I said it…nerves I guess.

So there we were discussing my hair before I said ‘sorry, hi’ & hugged him. The rest of the day went well & I never made such a stupid comment again. The relationship went from there, we would text & or call each other every day, but it took months before we became an item then we were insperable. Two months into our relationship he asked me to marry him. I knew it was right, it felt right, I loved him & still do love him. I still get those silly nervous butterflies when we go out together or when I wake in the morning & see his face. Something must have impressed him that day & I’m sure it wasn’t my OMG moment. We have been married four months now & it goes to show timing is everything when we first meet someone. What I know for sure is that I shall never make a cringing comment again.

2 comments:

  1. I knew my husband was the one pretty much right off the bat too! When it's right it's right.. we've been married over thirty years now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jen. Wow, that's an amazing amount of time :) I have a long way to go yet ha. Thanks for coming by & commenting :)

    ReplyDelete