Owning books.

One of http://nablopomo.blogher.com/ prompts this week is: Do you prefer to own books or borrow them from a friend or the library?

This is quite easy for me to answer actually. I love owning books. I have to stop myself continually buying more books. The bookcases are full at the moment & I’ve read nearly every one of them, some even more than once.

I think I have a book addiction. I am a book addict! If there’s a book that I keep seeing reviewed I have to have it. If one comes free with a glossy magazine then it’s mine.

The trouble with this though is that I have problem getting rid of books. Ones I haven’t enjoyed I’ll happily give away to a charity shop no problem there, but ones I’ve enjoyed or perhaps having got pass the first chapter yet I won’t get rid of. What if I want to read it again? 

My partner keeps saying “you’ve got too many books, you won’t read them again.” But my answer is that I might. One day. You never know. What if we had a power cut or if I was laid up in bed & therefore would need plenty of books for entertainment. I even have a pile next to the bed which I keep saying I will get round to reading, but then I’ll go & buy a new book & read that instead, so the pile continues to grow & begs for me to read them.

Yes it would be cheaper to borrow them from friends or a library but if I really liked a certain book then I wouldn’t return it or I’d have to go out & buy it anyway. I love entering libraries & glancing through all the books, I just don’t like having a time scale on when I should return a book. I want to take my time & enjoy reading it or perhaps even read it a second time round straight away. 

Books on shelves look great, colourful & show you love reading, but it also houses what you love as a hobby...books. I have a collection I know I should actually sell as they are rather old & should be enjoyed by others or a collector. I know I need to make enquiries about them as it’s a waste to just have them sitting there gathering dust. Plus I guess that by selling them I’d free up space for newer books...ooh there’s an idea...now where’s my camera to snap the collection in the best light?...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GBE2 Dancing.

Eggs

I'm back