To love or not to love


 

I was never really a poetry kind of person until I began my Creative Writing course & then a Literature course. I had to write & study poetry & although I enjoyed it I could never find a poem that really stuck with me.

I read the Romantic poets, the modern poets & yet although I liked what they had written it felt different enjoying the poems when you had to study them. You rip a poem apart; find different meanings in each word/line/stanza & that for me took the enjoyment out of it.

I feel that with poetry you have to take your time, savour each line & stanza, you have to take your time over it & let it lead you through the senses, instead of trying to find what perhaps sometimes isn’t there when doing a course & having to analyse it.

I will have to push myself to read more poetry for enjoyment & decide for myself what poem I will remember instead of being forced to like certain poetry which could have the opposite affect when it comes to memorising a poet’s work.

Comments

  1. I was never sure whether poetry means a specific thing or if it's like a piece of art and it means a different thing to each and every person who reads it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Jen, I find it is a specific art form & that many people will find different things within one piece of poetry :o)

      Delete
  2. Poetry is a strange animal. It is the mundane or sublime, distilled in to its purest form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Nancy :o) & yes it is a very strange animal.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your post. I recall being "forced" to read poetry in school and it was off putting to me. I can't write it and don't think I ever will. But, I am able to pick pieces and enjoy them now for the LOVE of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Winnie... I'm so pleased I am not the only one who is forced to read poetry :o)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Survivor

I'm back

GBE2 Dancing.